Crunchy Cornmeal Onion Rings
- 2 Each-Red Onions-large, outer skin removed, sliced into rings 1/2”
- 2 Cups-Buttermilk
- To Taste-Hot Sauce
- 2 Cups-All Purpose Flour
- 4 Each-Eggs-beaten
- 2 Cups-Corn Meal
- 1 Tablespoon-Black Pepper/Kosher Salt
- 1 Quart-Corn Oil
- Preheat oil to 365 degrees.
- Combine buttermilk/hot sauce in a bowl and add cut onions.
- Let onions stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Strain onions, place in flour, shake off excess flour and dredge in egg.
- Lift onions out of egg, let any excess drip off before placing in corn meal.
- Toss onion rings in corn meal to coat.
- Shake off excess and fry until golden brown.
- Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.