Tomato Biscuits with homemade Bacon/Jalapeno Mayo
- 1 ¾ Cups-All Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons-Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon-Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon-Salt
- 8 Tablespoons/1 Stick-Unsalted Butter-very cold
- ¾ Cup-Buttermilk/Whole Milk/2% Milk
- 3 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter-melted
- 5-6 Roma Tomatoes-ends removed, sliced
- 2 Each-Green Onions-sliced thin
- To Drizzle-Olive Oil
- 1 Each-Egg Yolk-organic from free range chicken
- 1 Teaspoon-Dijon Mustard
- 1 Each-Jalapeno-skin charred, peeled, deseeded and fine diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons-Fresh Course Ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup-Bacon Drippings-cooled, softened to liquid
- 2/3 Cup-Canola Oil
- For mayo, add egg yolk, mustard, jalapeno, salt/pepper to a deep heavy bottom bowl.
- Whisk until well combined and start dripping in canola oil a few drops at a time, still whisking.
- While whisking/adding oil, the mayonnaise will begin to form.
- Once all the oil is incorporated begin adding the bacon drippings slowly.
- Once incorporated store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Mayo will last in a container with a tight fitting lid for to 4 to 5 days.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- For biscuits, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, until well combined.
- Cut cold butter into small pieces.
- Using a fork smash butter into flour until small pieces are visible.
- Add milk, begin to combine, once dough comes together place on flour board.
- Fold together 5/6 times or just enough keep ingredients together.
- Shape dough into a rectangle, ½” thick, cut into squares slightly larger than slices of tomato.
- Place on a sheet tray and brush with melted butter.
- Bake until golden and fluffy, about 10-13 minutes.
- Remove, brush with remaining melted butter and allow biscuits to cool.
- Half biscuits, top from bottom, smear some bacon/jalapeno mayo on each.
- Top each with tomato, salt/pepper, green onion, drizzle of oil and serve.