Fried and Seasoned Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips
Tortillas (you will need a tortilla press to make)
- 2 Cups-Masa Harina
- 1 Cup-water
- 1 Tablespoon-Kosher Salt
- 1 Quart-Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon-Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons-Ground Ancho Chili Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon-Ground Chipotle Pepper-or cayenne
- 1 Tablespoon-Smoked Paprika-or regular paprika
- 1 Teaspoon-Ground Ginger
- 2 Teaspoons-Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon-Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons-Dry Oregano
- 1 ½ Tablespoons-Masa Harina
Place in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Warm an iron skillet over medium heat and line a plate with a clean kitchen towel.
- Mix masa harina with salt, slowly add the water until a soft/slightly sticky dough form.
- If dough seems to dry to pack add a little water at a time until it is soft and easy to form into a ball.
- Divide dough into 12 equal portions and roll into a ball.
- Place one ball of dough on a piece of plastic wrap and another on top.
- Gently press ball to slightly flatten and place in tortilla press.
- Fold over top part of press and use handle to compress the dough into a tortilla.
- Gently remove one side of plastic from raw tortilla while holding in one hand.
- Gently flip over to other hand, remove second piece of plastic and place directly into warm skillet.
- Cook until slightly charred on one side, about 45 seconds, flip and repeat.
- Place on towel, cover to keep warm while repeating with remaining dough.
- Stack three tortillas on top of each other and cut in half.
- Stack both stacks on top of each other and cut into thirds, making triangles.
- Repeat on remaining tortillas.
- Heat oil in a fryer or deep heavy bottom pan fitted with a fry thermometer to 325 degrees.
- Begin frying in batches, for 30 to 45 seconds or until just starting to brown.
- Remove and drain in a paper towel lined plate/bowl and immediately dust with seasoning.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole or your favorite dip.