- 1 Each-Spaghetti Squash-about __ pounds
- To Drizzle-Olive Oil
- To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
- To Garnish-Parmesan Cheese-grated
- 35 Ounce Can-San Marzano Tomatoes-or whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1/4 Cup-Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves-Fresh Garlic-sliced thin
- 8 to 10 Leaves-Fresh Basil-rough chopped, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 to 2 Teaspoons-Kosher Salt-to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon-Black Pepper
- In a small stock pot warm olive oil over medium heat, add garlic and cook to flavor the oil, about 2 minutes, do not burn the garlic. Add the San Marzano tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Lower heat and let cook stirring frequently while making the meatballs.
- 1 Pound-Ground Turkey
- 1 Each-Egg
- ¾ Cup-Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup-Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tablespoon-Red Onion-fine dice
- 1 Each-Garlic Clove
- 1 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon-Black Pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix to combine, try not to over mix because it will make the meatballs tough. Try to use a scooper or ounce scale to make sure that all the meatballs are the same size; this will ensure that they all cook evenly.
- Portion all the meatballs and then begin to roll them into round balls. Do not pack the meat together, gently roll them between both hands to form ball, this will keep the meatballs light. If you pack them the meatballs will become tough, hard and dense.
- Place each ball on a sheet tray (or a iron skillet works great) right next to one another to help them keep their shape during the cooking process. Once all the balls are rolled out place them in the refrigerator to harden while the oven is preheating to 350 degrees. For best results make the meatballs up a day ahead and store covered in the refrigerator to harden over night, this will help the meatballs keep their shape.
- Once oven is preheated to 350 degrees place the meatballs in the oven and cook for 10 minutes, rotate pan and cook another 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and place in the red sauce cooking (the longer the better) about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Once the meatballs are in the sauce, start the squash by cutting the squash in half length ways, drizzle the cut side with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a foil lined sheet tray and bake in oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the squash removes easily.
- Remove squash from the oven and flip over exposing the inner flesh of the squash. Using a kitchen towel to hold the squash and a large spoon to scoop out the flesh, the flesh will come out resembling pasta in strands.
- Place the still hot squash in a mixing bowl; toss with a little of the sauce, place on individual plates of on a serving platter, top with a little more sauce and a few of the turkey meatballs, garnish with parmesan cheese and serve.