- 1 Each-12-15 Pound Whole Turkey
- 1 ½ Cups-Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Gallon-Hot Water
- 1 Gallon-Cold Water
- To Cool-Ice
- 2 Cups-Mayonnaise
- To Coat-Chef Troy’s Back Rub
- 2 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons-Onion-small dice
- 1 Clove-Garlic-smashed into a paste
- ½ Cup-Jack Daniels
- 3 Tablespoons-Honey
- 2 Tablespoons-Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup-Water
- In a large stock pot/ combine one gallon of hot water with water, sugar, honey and brown sugar.
- Whisk to combine until ingredients are dissolved in hot water.
- Add a gallon of cold water to brine and enough ice to completely cool.
*Add turkey to brine and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
- Remove from brine, rinse with cold water and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Liberally season inside of turkey with Back Rub.
- Brush entire turkey with mayo and season generously with Back Rub.
- Place in a roasting pan fitted with a rack, place in oven and roasted for 15-18 minutes per pound.
- For a 12 pound turkey roasted for 3 ½ to 4 hours, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- To make glaze, melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat and add onion.
- Cook to soften, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently and add garlic.
- Cook one minute, add bourbon, raise heat and reduce by half.
- Add honey, sugar, water and cook, stirring frequently until glaze starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and set aside until ready to glaze turkey.
- During last hour brush on glaze every 10 minutes.
- Check internal temperature by inserting a meat thermometer into breast.
- If temperature is between 155-160 degrees remove from oven.
- IF temperature is below 155 degrees continue to cook checking in 10 minute intervals.
- Let rest for at least 30 minutes before carving.
*To brine a larger bird or to not use refrigerator space: line a cooler with a clean trash bag.
Add brine, bird, ice, close bag, close cooler and add ice to keep brine below 39 degrees.