- 3 Pounds-Green Beans-before trimming end & discarding blemished
- 2 Tablespoons-Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon-Poultry Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon-Rubbed Sage
- 1 Each-Pork Neck Bone
- 2 Cups-Crispy Fried Onions-homemade or store bought
Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 1/2 Stick-Unsalted Butter
- 1 Pound-Mushrooms-Button or Cremini-sliced
- 3 Tablespoons-All Purpose Flour
- 1 Quart-Heavy Cream
- To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
- Bring a large stock pot of water to a boil, add the salt and stir to dissolve.
- Add green beans, poultry seasoning, sage, neck bone and stir to combine.
- Bring water back to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes to one hour, or until beans are tender.
- Make spicy fried onions according to recipe and set aside.
- Pour beans into a colander and let drain and steam dry.
- Melt butter in a stock pot over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms, cook until mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid has cooked out of the pan.
- Add flour and stir to coat.
- Add heavy cream, stir to combine and continue to cook until sauce begins to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- Add green beans to mushroom cream sauce and mix well to incorporate.
- Place mixture in an oven save casserole dish and top with crispy onions.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Spicy Fried Onions
Soak onions in buttermilk and hot sauce for 15 minutes. Place flour/corn meal in a zip bag, drain excess milk off onions. Place in bag close and shake to coat. Fry at 350 degrees until golden. Drain and season with salt.
Remove from oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes and serve.