Charred Tomato-Corn-Bacon Soup
- 3 ½ Pounds-Beefsteak Tomatoes-halved
- 1 Medium-Red Onions-peeled and halved
- 1 Large-Red Bell Peppers-halved and deseeded
- 1 Each-Corn on the Cob-boiled, oiled, seasoned, cut of cob, reserved
- To Coat-Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- To Taste-Chef Troy’s Spice Mix- or kosher salt/black pepper
- 1/2 Pound-Bacon-cut into thin strips, cooked, drained, reserve bacon/drippings separate
- 1 Bulb-Garlic-halved, oil, season, wrap in foil, bake 300 degrees until soft, about one hour
- 2 ½ Cups-Chicken Stock
- 2 Tablespoons-Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon-Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup-Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 Tablespoons-Fresh Basil-chopped, plus extra for garnish
- ½ Cup-Blue Cheese-crumbled
- To Taste-Cooked Bacon-reserved from step one for garnish
- Preheat grill/grill pan for direct heat grilling to medium high heat.
- Toss tomatoes, onions, pepper with olive oil and season generously with spice mix
- Grill tomatoes, onions, peppers until slightly charred, remove and allow to cool on a sheet tray.
- Remove skin from tomatoes and discard skins.
- Rough shop vegetables and place back on sheet tray with all their juices.
- Working in batches place vegetables/juices in food processor and process until smooth.
- Warm bacon dripping over medium high heat in a stock pot, if bacon dripping don’t equal ½ cup add olive for difference.
- Place pureed vegetables in stock pot with bacon dripping and add roasted garlic.
- Cook, stirring frequently until warmed through about 5-7 minutes.
- Add stock, vinegar, sugar, lower heat to medium/medium low and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the heavy cream, ½ of the blue cheese and basil.
- Stir to melt blue cheese into soup.
- Place soup in bowls, top with blue cheese, corn, bacon and basil cut into thin strips.
- Serve with grilled garlic toast.