Whiskey Onion and Crab Cornbread Fritter Balls
Makes 20 to 25 Fritters
- 6 Ounces-Crab Meat-claw or back fin
- ¼ Cup-Yellow onions (cut into half moons)
- 1/2 Tablespoon-Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon-Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon-Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4Cup-Jack Daniels Whiskey- black label
- 1/2 Cup-Yellow Corn Meal
- 1/2 Cup-All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon-Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon-Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon-Black Pepper
- 6 Ounces-Buttermilk
- 2 Each-Large Egg
- 2 Tablespoon-Unsalted Butter-melted
- Preheat a large sauté pan or stock pot on medium high heat.
- Melt butter and add onions, salt, brown sugar and cayenne pepper.
- Continue to cook onions until reduce by half their size, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When pan is almost dry add whiskey and reduce heat to very low heat.
- Continue to stir and cook onions until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly and chop fine.
- Preheat a deep fat fryer to 360 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper.
- In a separate bowl combine milk, butter and egg.
- Slowly add milk/egg mixture to dry ingredients while mixing together.
- Add whiskey onions to corn bread mixture along with crab and fold together with a rubber spatula
- Using a 2 ounce portion scoop or a spoon begin gently dropping cornbread mixture fryer.
- Fry in batches until golden brown, flipping during once.
- Drain on paper towel lined plate and serve.